Dr Uche Enyidi is a professional Fisheries and Aquatic Scientist with a Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD) in Aquatic Sciences (Fisheries and Aquaculture option) obtained from the University of Jyvaskyla Finland (2012). He also has a Master of Science degree (MSc) in Fisheries and Hydrobiology obtained from University of Nigeria Nsukka (1990). His first degree was Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Zoology obtained from University of Port Harcourt Nigeria (1988). His PhD thesis in the University of Jyvaskyla Finland was on the production of feeds for African catfish Clarias gariepinus using plant proteins. The thesis involved the use of stable isotopes of 13C and 15N in the analysis of feed ingredients utilization, assimilation and their individual separate biomass contributions to the whole fish biomass. He was among the first group of researchers to use stable isotope techniques in fish nutritional research. He successfully separated biomass contribution (par ingredient) of over four ingredients to recipient fish using naturally occurring δ13C and δ15N Stable isotope analysis in R (SIAR). Previous researchers were able to achieve separation of biomass contribution to recipient fish from only two food sources; this was presented in World Aquaculture Society (WAS) conference held in Las Vegas USA 2012. Moreover, Dr.U. D. Enyidi popularized bambaranut meal as a fish feed ingredient, alternative to fishmeal and soybean meal. An additional key finding of Dr.U. D. Enyidi’s research is that bambaranut popularly known as “Okpa” in Nigeria and widely regarded as African crop is a C3 plant (like soybeans) and exotic as against indigenous tropical plants (C4) plants like maize. This he did through analysis of the δ13C and δ15N stable isotope profile of the crop. He introduced the culture of African catfish Clarias gariepinus to Finland. He has had pieces of training in Fish Physiology at the University of Copenhagen Denmark, Extrusion and Industrial feed production and processing in the University of Ghent Belgium, Techniques in Recirculation aquaculture systems and use of X-ray technology in feed utilization analysis in LUKEE Laukaaa Finland, Techniques in Aquatic Sciences in Konnevessi Research station JYL Finland. He has presented papers in Aquaculture Canada 2000 and 2010, European Aquaculture Society conferences in the Czech Republic 2011, and World Aquaculture Society conferences in Las Vegas USA 2012. He has featured in several research workshops all over Finland. Dr U. D. Enyidi has several publications easily assessable via Research Gate, and Google search engines etc. He is a member of the American Fisheries Society (AFS), World Aquaculture Society (WAS). While in the University of Jyvaskyla, Dr U. D. Enyidi lectured in the Department of Biological Sciences (2007-2012) and Department of Development and International Cooperation’s (DIC) University of Jyvaskyla (2010-2012). Presently Dr U. D. Enyidi is a lecturer in Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management Micheal Okpara Universiy of Agriculture Umudike. His research interest is in fish nutrition, fish diseases parasites and nutritional therapy, algaeculture and use of algae as alternative energy and feedstock ingredient.
1. Enyidi U.D and Oscar E. (2018). Solid state fermented bambaranut meal as substitute of fishmeal in the diets of African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Iranian Journal of Fisheries (Accepted article).
2. Enyidi U.D (2017). Chlorella vulgaris as protein source in the diets of
African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Fishes, 2(17):2-12 doi:10.3390/fishes2040017
3. Enyidi U.D (2017). Portable water and national water policy in Nigeria (A historical synthesis, pitfalls and the way forward). Journal of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development. 3(2):105-111.
4. Enyidi U.D and Nwahiri J. (2017). Growth and vitamin A enhancement effects of provitamin A β-carotenoid cassava (Manihot esculanta Crantz) UMUCASS38 (IITA-TMS-IBAO114121), in the practical diets of fingerling African catfish Heterobranchus longifilis. Accepted article International Journal of Innovative Studies in Aquatic Biology and Fisheries (IJISABF).
5. Enyidi U.D., Juhani Pirhonen, Juhani K. and Jouni V. (2017). Effect of Feed Protein: Lipid Ratio on Growth Parameters of African Catfish Clarias gariepinus after Fish Meal Substitution in the Diet with Bambaranut (Voandzeia subterranea) Meal and Soybean (Glycine max) Meal. Fishes 2017, 2(1). doi: doi:10.3390/fishes2010001.
6. Enyidi U.D and Maduakor C. J. (2017). Prevalence of bacteria and Nematode parasites in African Catfish Clarias gariepinus cultured in small holder concrete ponds in Nigeria Journal of Biology and Nature 7(4): 169-176, 2017
7. Enyidi U.D. (2016). Bambara Nut Voandzea subterranea, an Alternative to Soybean, its Molecular and Nutritional Properties Estimated using δ13C and δ15N Stable Isotope Analysis. In Biochemistry and Therapeutic Uses of Medicinal Plants, Editors Prof Abbas Ali Madhi, Prof Y.K. Sharma, Murtaza Abid, Dr. M. M. Abid Ali Khan and Dr. Raaz K. Maheshwari. Publisher: Lenin Media Pvt. Ltd., Delhi, India Chapt. 2.ISBN951-39-4925-9
8. Enyidi U.D. (2016). Production of algae as alternative energy and biomass source and its effects as fishmeal substitute in the diets of African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Presented at the 1st International renewable energy conference, 1st-4th August 2016, Godfrey Okoye University Thinkers Corner Enugu, Enugu State Nigeria
9. Enyidi Uchechukwu Dennis and Onuoha J. U. (2016). Use of Probiotics as First Feed of Larval African Catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822). Annual Research & Review in Biology, 9(2): 1-9.
10. Enyidi U.D., and A. S. Nduh-Nduh. (2016). Application of Phytogenics as First Feed of Larval African Catfish Clarias gariepinus. Journal of Advances in Biology & Biotechnology, 5(3): 1-10.
11. Enyidi U.D. and P.I. Agi. (2016). Analysis of pH, dissolved oxygen and turbidity of aquatic ecosystems at Bori, Gokana, Okirika, Tai and Eleme areas of Rivers state Nigeria. Fundamental Journal of Applied Sciences. 1(1): 1-18.
12. Enyidi U.D. and L.U. Eneje. (2015). Parasites of African catfish Clarias gariepinus cultured in homestead. Researchjournali. 2(12): 1-10
13. Enyidi Uchechukwu D., Mgbenka B.O. (2015). Replacement of Fish Meal with Bambara Nut Waste Meal in the Diets of Larval African Catfish Clarias gariepinus Burchell (1822). British Journal of Applied Science & Technology, 5(6): 526-537.
14. Enyidi Uchechukwu, Juhani Pirhonen, Jouni Vielma (2014). Effects of sesame seed meal and bambaranut meal on growth and feed utilization and body composition of Juvenile African catfish Clarias gariepinus. Iranian Journal of Fisheries Science. 13(4), 998-1013.
15. Enyidi Uchechukwu, Juhani Pirhonen, Jouni Vielma (2014). Effects of substituting soybean (Glycine max) meal with bambaranut (Voandzeia subterranea) meal on growth performance and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 1(3) 152-157.
16. Enyidi Uchechukwu D., Mgbenka B.O.M. (2014). Substitution of fishmeal with bambaranut waste meal in diets of first feeding (Clarias gariepinus X Heterobranchus bidorsalis) “Heteroclarias”. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 1 (3) 118-122.
17. Enyidi U., Kiljunen M., Jones R., Vielma J. and Pirhonen J. (2013). Nutrient assimilation by first-feeding African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) assessed using stable isotope analysis. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, 44, 161-172.
18. Enyidi U., Juhani P., Jouni V. (2013). Analyses of Nutrient Assimilation in Larval African Catfish Clarias gariepinus Fed Diets Varying Fishmeal, Bambara Nut Meal and Corn Meal, Using 13C and 15N Stable Isotopes and SIAR. Presented to Aquaculture America 2012. Feb. 29, Las – Vegas USA.
19. Enyidi U. D. (2012). Production of feeds for African catfish Clarias gariepinus using plant proteins. Jyvaskyla Studies in Biological Sciences, 251. ISBN:978-951-39-4925-9, ISSN: 1456-9701.
20. Enyidi U., Pirhonen J. and Vielma J. (2012). Effects of substituting soybean meal with bambaranut (Voandzeia subterranea) meal on growth performance and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae. Presented at Diversification of Inland aquaculture (DIFAS) program Pisek, Czech Republic 2011.
21. Enyidi U., Pirhonen J. and Vielma J. (2010). Comparative effects of sesame seed meal and bambaranut meal on growth and nutrition of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus). Presented to Aquaculture Canada 2010, Cold Harvest 2010, St Johns NFL Canada. http://www.aquacultureassociation.ca/abst2010/fishnut.html
22. Enyidi U. and Mgbenka B.O. (2000). Growth and nutritional effects of bambaranut waste meal on the first feeding frys of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) (Burchell, 1822) 2000. Aquaculture Canada 2000 University of Moncton New Brunswick Canada. http://www.aquacultureassociation.ca/abst2000/fishnut.html