PROFESSOR NZEGBULE, EMMANUEL C.
Professor Nzegbule Emmanuel C. is a Professor of Plant Ecology with over 22 years of progressive experience, and core competence in community ecology, environmental management, climate change, natural resources management, ecosystem benefits and livelihood improvement and gender-responsive sustainable development; with 16 years of strong involvement in research conception and implementation and 12 years particularly devoted to research administration in a University setting. The past 8 years were committed to engaging with Federal, State and Local Government in strengthening policies on environment, development and communication. He has published over 40 scientific articles and technical report in natural resources conservation, environmental monitoring, climate change and ecological services. Supervised eighteen MSc students and six PhD students on aspects of Environmental Management and Climate Change at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike; Director of Research and Development, MOUAU from 2010-2014. He has reviewed several publications in natural resources conservation, environmental management, climate change including the Gender and Climate Change Toolkit, with over 20 years of promoting environmental stewardship. Prof. Nzegbule has been a fellow and a consultant to Leadership for Environmental Adviser to Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA-PSU); participated in the Conference of Parties (COP) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) with active participation in the negotiation; processed several grants awarded to various project partners and civil society organization (NGOs) for research and pilot projects on environment and climate change. He also worked as a member of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Adaptation Fund; Coordinator and spokesperson of African NGOs on Environment and Climate Change in several regional and global meetings on environment and climate change. He also served at the position of Project Coordinator of the Building Nigeria’s Response to Climate Change (BNRCC), a multi-million dollar climate change project, sponsored by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA); led a 3-year development research project of a Climate Change Adaptation for Africa (CCAA) project implemented at Aba, Nigeria funded by International Development Research Council (IDRC Canada, 2009-2012) which facilitated 6 community adaptation projects. Worked as Social/Environmental Impact Specialist in the Environmental Impact Assessment for the Rehabilitation of the Irrigation Project in Bakilori (near Talata Mafara), in Zamfara State funded by USAID MARKETS under Chemonics International; served in the implementation team of the multi-year Nigeria-Canada Climate Change Capacity Development project, supported by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA); Program Director of Nigerian Environmental Study/Action Study Team (NEST); proven experience working with International non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and various international donor agencies such as USAID, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), EU and Oxfam. Prof E. C. Nzegbule is a member of the editorial board of the Journal for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment, member of the Governing Board of the Nigerian Environmental Study Action Team (NEST); and member of the Governing Council, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (2012-2017).
1. Nzegbule E., Nwajiuba, C., Ujor G., Onyeneke, R., Ogallah, S. and Okali, D. (2018). Sustainability and the Effectiveness of BNRCC Community Based Adaptation
(CBA) to Address Climate Change Impact in Nigeria. Proceeding of the Second Climate Change Conference Ibadan.
Climate Change Handbook 14 – 15 October, 2018.
2. Nzegbule, E., A.Q. Ijoma, M.C. Onyema (2018) Growth and Nodulation of Centrosema pubescens Benth (Butterfly Pea) in Soils of High Copper Levels in the
Humid Zone of Nigeria. Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 2018, Vol. 6, No. 1.
3. Kalu, M. Igwe C.E., Nzegbule, E.C. and Njoku, K.U. (2016). Community participation in the management of Ukpom Bende Forest Reserve, Abia State. Journal
of Foresyry, Environment and Sustainable Development (JOFESD) Vol2. (1) 42-53.
- Kalu, M. Igwe C.E., Nzegbule, E.C. and Njoku, K.U. (2016). Assessment of productivity of Gmelina arborea and its implication for sustainability in Ukpom Bende Forest Reserve, Abia State. Journal of Forestry, Environment and Sustainable Development (JOFESD) Vol2. (1) 42-53.
- Harold K. O. and E. C. Nzegbule (2015) Characterization of copper fractions in soil of a cocoa plantation treated with Bordeaux mixture at Ajata Bende in the rainforest agro-ecological zone Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. Vol.16(1) Pp192- 207.
- Nzegbule, E.C. (2013). The prospects and challenges of carbon marketing for Africa. Lead Paper, Proceeding of forestry Association of Nigeria (FAN) Conference 6th -8th November, 2013, ELibrary Centre Uyo Akwa Ibom State
- Nzegbule, E. C. Ndelekwute, S.C. and Onyema, M. C (2013). Plant species richness and soil nutrient contribution in a 35-year old cashew nut plantation in Isuochi. Nigerian Tropical Ecology 54 (2) pp 205 – 212.
- Ekpo, F. E. and E.C. Nzegbule (2012) Climate Change impact and adaptation opportunities on agricultural production in communities around Itu Bridge-head in Itu LGA, Akwa Ibam State, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Sciences. Vol, 2 No 4 2191- 2202.
- Ngoka, P. C and Nzegbule E.C. (2013) Tourism potentials of Nigerian National Parks by ecological settings. The challenges of environmental education and sustainability. International Journal of Applied Research and Technology. Vol. 2 No 6 pp174- 185.
- Nzegbule, E. C. Ndelekwute, S.C. and Onyema, M. C (2011). Contribution of cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) to site quality in Isuochi Abia State. Nigerian Agricultural Journal Vol 42. pp 37 – 44.
- Nzegbule, E.; Ayoade, J.; Folorunsho, R.; O. Olukunle (2011) Climate change Adaptation Strategy Technical Report- Natural Resources Sector. In NEST and Tegler, B. (Eds.) Climate change Adaptation Strategy Technical Reports- Nigeria (CCASTR), Building Nigeria’s Response to Climate Change, Ibadan, Nigeria: Nigerian Environmental Study/Action Team (NEST) pp71-109.
- Ogbonna P. C. and E. C. Nzegbule (2009). Germination frequency of woody species in exotic plantation and bush fallow land area in Umuahia, Abia State. Global Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol 8 No 1. 33 – 37.
- Ogbonna P. C.; Nzegbule, E; and E. Tembe (2010). Litter quality and soil characteristics of Gmelina arborea and bush fallow in Umuahia. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Forestry Association of Nigeria 25th – 29th October 2010 Vol. 1 pp 175 – 180.
- Onyema, M. C.; Aju, P. C.; Nzegbule, E. C.; Iwara, K.E and. F.O. Abioye (2010) Women in Resources exploitation in Afi wildlife sanctuary of Cross River State Nigeria. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Forestry Association of Nigeria 25th – 29th October 2010 Vol. 1 pp 175 – 180
- Nzegbule, E. (2008). Forestry Development and the challenge of climate change in Nigeria. In Nwajiuba, C (ed.).
- Nzegbule E. and N. Ikwuo (2009) Fadama project and potentials for integrating climate change adaptation into its implementation. 3rd International Conference on Community Based Adaptation to Climate Change, Dhaka Sheraton 18th – 24 Feb 2009. Abstract of Proceedings
- Nzegbule, E. (2008). Climate change adaptation and mitigation in tropical landscape. Proceedings of the 32nd Annual conference of Forestry Association of Nigeria (FAN). 21- 23 October, 2008. pp 453 – 460.
- Nzegbule E. C. and P. C. Ogbonna (2007). Quantity and quality of litterfall in pure pine and pine/Gmelina mixed plantations in Umuahia, Abia State. Global Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol. 7 (1) 93 – 96.
- Nzegbule E. and Nwachi, E. (2008). Soil Seed bank characteristics of Canarium schweinfurthii (Engl.): Implications for its natural regeneration. FRUITS 63 135 - 143.
- Ogbonna, P. C. and Nzegbule, E. C. (2007) Recruitment of indigenous woody species within plantations of exotic species and bush fallow system in Umuahia, Abia State.
- Onyema M.C.; E. C. Nzegbule and C. O. Akachuku (2010) Effect of organic manure application on leaf production, height growth and stem girth enlargement in a tropical vine (Cissus striata) Abia State. Proceedings of Nigeria Tropical Biology Association, University Ibadan August 26, 2010, pp 31 – 36.
- Kalu, M.; E. C. Nzegbule and E.G.O Ogidi (2009). Effects of industrial activities on composition and distribution of macrophytes in Aba river wetland southeast Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture, Food and Ecosystem Research 1 (1) 324 – 330.
- Nzegbule E. C. and Onyema, C. (2007) Dynamics in soil nutrient status And
macro-organism population following land conversion from fallow to cultivated farm. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment.
- Nzegbule, E. C. and F. Ekpo (2007). The effect of quarrying on soil and
vegetation in Akamkpa Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria. Global Journal of Science Vol. 6 No 2 133 – 137.
- Nzegbule E. C. (2007) Amelioration of copper toxicity in an aged cocoa plantation in Bende District. Environment and Ecology 25 (2) 448 – 452.
- Nzegbule, E. C. and Onyema C. 2006. Changes in the soil and vegetation following oil spillage and fire outbreak in Isikwuato, southeastern Nigeria. Environment and Ecology pp 671 – 676.
- Nzegbule E. C. 2006. Pattern of exploitation and valuation of major economic incentives from some watersheds in Abia State. Proceedings of Forestry Association of Nigeria (FAN) Conference 2006
- Nzegbule, E. C. and Roy Mbakwe (2001) Effect of pre-sowing and incubation on seed germination of Garcinia kola. FRUITS. France. Vol. 56 (6) 437 – 442
- Nzegbule, E.C. 2003. Assessment of copper levels in the soil and the vegetation following repeated application of Bordeaux mixture to a cocoa plantation in southeastern Nigeria. Nigerian Agricultural Journal 34: 97 – 101.
- Nzegbule, E.C., R. Mbakwe and M.C. Dike (2001) Vegetation and variability of micro-environment in a forest reserve in Umudike. Journal of Tropical Forest Resources.
- Nzegbule, E.C. (2002). Contemporary environmental issues with respect to food production. In: Nwajiuba Chinedum (ed.), Perspectives on food security in Eastern Nigeria pp 69 – 78.
- Nzegbule E.C. and O.C. Onwuka (2000). Effect of mining on the composition and population of plant species with reference to Ohiya kaolin mine in Umuahia, Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. Umudike. Vol. 1 (1): 99 – 103.
- Nzegbule E.C. and R. Mbakwe (2001). Litterfall and nutrient re-cycling in Treculia africana Decene stand in southeastern Nigeria. Proceedings of the 27th Annual conference of the Forestry Association of Nigeria (FAN). Abuja. pp177 – 182.
- Nzegbule, E.C. (2001). Tomato production using chemical fertilizer and nasute termite mound as soil amendment. Tropical Agricultural Research and Extension Vol. 4 (1) Sri Lanka.
- Nzegbule E.C. and R. Mbakwe, P.E. Okorie (2000). Litterfall and nutrient return in Dacryodes edulis H.J. Lam stand in southeastern Nigeria. 3rd International Workshop on the Improvement of Safou and other non-conventional crops Yaounde, Cameroon 3 – 5 October 2000 Pp204-211
- Meregini A.O.A. and E.C. Nzegbule (2000). Potentials of Mallotus oppositifolius for agroforestry and land management in southeastern Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. Umudike. Vol. 2 (1): 55 –61.
- Nzegbule, E.C. And A.O.A Meregini (1999). Applying indigenous knowledge for the conservation of biodiversity in Okigwe South, Imo state Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. Umudike. Vol. 1 (1): 95- 100.
- Nzegbule, E.C. and R. Mbakwe (1999). The effect of gibberellic acid (GA) on early growth of Nauclea diderrichii. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. Umudike. Vol. 1 (1):106 – 109.
- Nzegbule E. C. (1998). Improving the contribution of leguminous species to soil fertility in the traditional cropping systems of south eastern Nigeria. “Biological Nitrogen Fixation in Africa: Linking Process to progress”. Proceedings of the Eight congress of the African Association for Biological Nitrogen fixation. Pp 191 – 192.
- Nzegbule, E.C. And Osodeke, V.E. (1997) Potential of nasute termite mounds as soil amendment in tomato production on acid sands of southeastern Nigeria. Proceedings of the Regional workshop on soil fertility management in West African land use systems. 4- 8 March 1997.Niamey, Niger Republic pp541.
- Nzegbule, E. C. and Ogunyemi, S. (2001). Seed germination and root sprouting characteristics of Chromolaena odorata (L) K. & R. in Southwestern Nigeria. Nigerian Agricultural Journal. Vol. 32 188-195.
- Nzegbule, E.C. (1995). Effect of seasonal changes on the composition of solid waste: A Case of Umuahia Urban. Journal of Agricultural Technology. Vol 4. 38-42.
- Nzegbule, E.C (1996). Impact of land ownership and use: Implication on biological conservation in Nigeria. Proceedings of the 5th annual conference of Nigerian Society for Biological Conservation 6 - 10 Oct. 1996 pp 79-82
- Chukwu, G.O and Nzegbule, E.C (1996). Assessment of land Proceedings of the 5th annual conference of Nigerian Society for Biological Conservation 6 - 10 Oct. 1996 pp 79-82.